Seams and joins in wallpaper. Why oh why can you see them?
One of the most commonly asked questions from our customers to us is "Can you see the seams or joins?" Well there are reasons why you will and reasons why you shouldn't!
But before you read on, there are some amazing patterns that you will have a hard time finding the join. Some of the textured wallpapers that have a grain like the timber designs are fantastic. Do not be dismayed..if you follow the correct preparation you will achieve a good result. Use the information below and you will nail it!
OPEN SEAMS- POOR JOINS: OH Dear..not good
Opening or poor seams occur when the seams of the wallpaper spring or open during the drying process. This can be as little as part of 1 millimeter, to 1 or 2 millimeters.
THERE IS NOTHING IN ANY WALLCOVERING THAT WILL MAKE OR CAUSE THE SEAMS TO OPEN.
There are many reasons for seams to open during the drying process of the wallpaper.
All Wallcoverings that have paper as their web or base will expand and relax once wetted, but during the drying process will rely very heavily on the preparation of the substrate to have been carried out correctly to hold the wallpaper in place, and not allow the product to move or open.
Note that paste-the-wall Wallcoverings do not expand and show seams when sheets are aligned correctly, although the usual wall preparation is still recommended.
OPEN OR POOR SEAMS CAN BE CAUSED BY THE INSTALLER
1. Not sanding with the correct grit sandpaper or not sanding at all.
2. Not dusting the entire surface, to remove all dust particles.
3. Not glue sizing the entire surface, so as to seal off the porosity of that surface.
4. Stretching the product during installation.
5. Force drying the product, either by putting a heater in the room, or a dehumidifier, or by the heat of the sun coming into a room during, or even after, installation.
a. Surface not glue sized at all
b. Incorrect paste
c. Paste too thin
d. Incorrect use of seam roller (i.e., too much pressure applied, causing the paste to be pushed out of the seams).
ALL THESE FACTORS CAN, AND DO, HAVE A BEARING ON WHETHER THE SEAMS WILL OPEN DURING THE DRYING PROCESS.
To prevent the seams from opening, make sure that all the recommended preparation steps are carried out as per normal practice and label instructions.
We hope these tips and hints will make for happy hanging experiences!
- Faux finishes in Wallpaper! Yep and it\'s like the real thing!
- Is Wallpaper Removable? Why and how?
- How To Hang Prepasted Wallpaper
- How to Hang Unpasted Wallpaper
- How to Hang Paste the Wall Wallpaper